3 years ago I was living with my family in the same little small town in Missouri where me and my hubby grew up. One day hubby came home and announced he had quit his job. 2 weeks later hubby accepted a job in Texas and we were on our way to a new adventure!
Now Texas is its own animal. Todays blog is going to be my own Letterman type Top Ten....
What I have learned about Texas....
10) Texas is its own Republic....which means at one time it was its own country. Which also is a fact that has brought to my attention at least a million times! Texans know the history front and back!
9) Texans are unaware that there is 49 other states.....seriously is there was a map of the US Texas would be labeled Texas......all the other states would be labeled Not Texas.
8)Everything is the property of Texas. Just watch TV...it is not just Dairy Queen....it is Texas Dairy Queen.
7) They are obsessed with their flag!!! It is everywhere...in homes.....outside on homes.....cars....trucks....buildings....everywhere. I am not sure I even can tell you what is on the Missouri flag...a bear maybe?
6) If you get pulled over and your address is not current you get a ticket!!! In Missouri they would just say...dont waste your money....wait until it is expired!
5) Everything is called Coke. Literally. Scenario: Texan-I would like to have a Coke.......make it a Dr.Pepper. Drives me nuts! If I say I want a Coke I want a Coke......if I want a Dr.Pepper I will say Dr. Pepper....by the way I get made fun of all day long for calling it pop!
4) When Homecoming comes around....watch out! All of a sudden teenage girls will be sporting these huge, tacky corsages that are as big as a plate with ribbons hanging down to their knees! the bigger the better! And guys will be wearing garters on their arm in the same fashion. I will try and get fellow dreamer Melissa to put a pic of these....because they are a site!
3) When parents ask their kids if they have to go to the bathroom they ask them if they have to "te te". Drives me mad! I just look at my kids and ask if they have to go to the bathroom or potty.....
2) Kids don't have to take a driver's test! It is on an honor system and their parents just sign saying they can! Now granted most students will take drivers ed! I wish I had this! I studied for weeks and then had to drive my moms Buick with some cop that was an old man wit a nose whistle! Spent 30 minutes driving around listening to that whistle coming out of a man's nose while being so nervous I was about to pee my pants! (notice not tee tee my pants)
1) This of course is in good fun. Because even though the state of Texas has it quirks.. it has the friendliest people I have ever met!!!! The people that have embraced me here as their friends will be my life long companions! And after all I better get used to Texans....after all my son is a native Texan!!!!
Until next time.....
Have great dreams......Juice Box Style!!
Edited by Melissa (100% Texan who sees nothing wrong with the items on the Top 10 except maybe the tee tee part I don't say that but then again I was raised by 2 Yankees.)
I searched the net and came up with this great example of a Homecoming Mum or Corsage for all of you who wish you were Texans to copy. (who knows maybe I can do a tutorial in the fall) ~Melissa